Sunday, April 18, 2010

What have I learned?

"Many organic practices simply make sense, regardless of what overall agricultural system is used. Far from being a quaint throwback to an earlier time, organic agriculture is proving to be a serious contender in modern farming and a more environmentally sustainable system over the long term."

Here's my thinking: from the time I decided that my By Hand Project would focus around learning the principles of organic cooking, I could not have possibly grasped the immense scope that exists within the organic movement. I have been exposed to so many different ways of looking at how food and food production can be considered organic. Its really beyond belief!

I'm just thankful that our current class reading, Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life was assigned towards the end of the semester. It has really worked out in the best imaginable way as it has coincided with my Reflection Mode. Not only have I been able to reflect on my personal organic experience through my By Hand Project, reading this book has reaffirmed what is unique about organic farming. For example, unlike genetically modified foods, which were discussed in the text, which use synthetic fertilizers and pesticides as a means to enhance production of food sources. In actuality, there are many unintended and harmful consequences that can occur from these practices. Oppositely adherents to organic practices use tactics such as composting, green manure, as well as crop rotation which serve to provide a natural source of nutrients and fertilizer, while also protecting the agricultural fields from pathogens and pests. All of this is done in the organic movement to ensure that what is being grown is not only good for oneself but is also good for the environment.

This is just one way Reflection Mode has benefited me. It can probably help you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment