Sunday, April 11, 2010

We'll call it...Reflection Mode

Its officially that time of the semester once again. You know, when all of the work for all of your classes comes flying at you and hits you like nothing else. You feel overwhelmed as if no matter how much effort you put forth toward your studies, it still doesn't come close to the amount of time you'll actually need to get everything done. Currently, its hard to imagine many other situations that could be more stressful then experiencing the pressures connected to making your deadlines.

But oddly enough, the thing that always helps me when I feel stressed come this time of the semester is not to jump into my studies for as hard as I can and/or as long as I can. That will only exhaust me. Instead, just take some time to reflect on what has happened over the course of the semester. I am now officially in Reflection Mode. I take some time to figure out what has been easy for me and what has presented challenges. Also I try to recognize whatever techniques that best assisted me in preparedness for a particular class so that I reuse these methods next semester. But most importantly, as I work through the endless amounts of layering that is my school work, I constantly find myself asking the same question: What have I learned from this experience?

I'd like to think that from every class I've taken, I have received some sort of beneficial knowledge or useful advice that contributes to the expansion of my worldview. With Reflection Mode in full-swing, I am happy to report that there is no exception to this notion when it comes to my experience with the class, up to this point.

Here's my thinking: from the time I decided that my By Hand Project would focus around learning the principles of organic cooking, I could not have possibly grasped the immense scope that exists within the organic movement. I have been exposed to so many different ways of looking at how food and food production can be considered organic. Its really beyond belief!

I'm just thankful that our current class reading, Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life was assigned towards the end of the semester. It has really worked out in the best imaginable way as it has coincided with my Reflection Mode. Not only have I been able to reflect on my personal organic experience through my By Hand Project, reading this book has reaffirmed what is unique about organic farming. For example, unlike genetically modified foods, which were discussed in the text, which use synthetic fertilizers and pesticides as a means to enhance production of food sources. In actuality, there are many unintended and harmful consequences that can occur from these practices. Oppositely adherents to organic practices use tactics such as composting, green manure, as well as crop rotation which serve to provide a natural source of nutrients and fertilizer, while also protecting the agricultural fields from pathogens and pests. All of this is done in the organic movement to ensure that what is being grown is not only good for oneself but is also good for the environment.

This is just one way Reflection Mode has benefited me. It can probably help you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment