Sunday, March 28, 2010

Passover on my mind

With the Jewish holiday of Passover starting tomorrow evening, I decided to get into the festive mood by creating traditional Matzah balls for a Matzah ball soup. I felt that it would be a great to display a sense of my own heritage while also adding to my By Hand repertoire.

Here is the ingredients given from this product:



- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 Matzah meal
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons soup stock

First I blended the vegetable oil, eggs, Matzah meal and salt together. After that was completed, I added the soup stock. After sitting in the refrigerator for 15 minutes (as instructed in the recipe), this is what my Matzah mixture looked like:



(Doesn't necessarily look the most appetizing at this point...but it gets better)

The next step was to form the mixture so that the Matzah meal can take its traditional ball-like shape.



Nextly, the Matzah balls cooked in boiling water for about 30 minutes.



Overall, I really enjoyed making this dish. Not only was I extremely happy with the final outcome of the Matzah balls, but I really felt a sense of accomplishment through my cooking skills that I haven't really obtained otherwise. Perhaps for me, crafting something that is of significance to my own cultural background has led to a better appreciation of the food I'm making.

Here is the final outcome:



With the addition of broth, chicken, and some vegetables this will make a delicious Matzah ball soup for this upcoming Passover!


P.S. I know originally this By Hand Blog was supposed to cover organic recipes and lately I've gone away from that. On the other hand, I have heavily shifted my research project on the political expression that come from both the organic and DIY movements. In the near future, I will want to resolve this issue and see how my blog can better assist me in research efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment