Sunday, February 14, 2010

Reflections gained from the Winter Famers Market



As an alternative to the upcoming ArtsWeek assignment, yesterday I had the opportunity to visit the Bloomington Winter Farmers Market, which is hosted by the Local Growers Guild. Since my By Hand project focuses on the craft of organic cooking I decided to focus this week's blog entry on my experience with the local growers at the market. I was amazed by the wide variety of items for sale at this market given it is the winter growing season. In terms of the produce I saw there was lettuce, radishes, cabbage, herbs, carrots, parsley and beets. There were also some other specialty items such as maple syrups, salsas, persimmon pulp, jams, and ravioli.



While at the Farmers Market I also had the chance to learn more about the Local Growers Guild. The Local Growers' Guild is a cooperative of farmers, retailers and community members dedicated to strenghthening the local food economy in Southern Indiana through education, direct support and market connections. Everyone who had a booth at the Winter Farmers Market is a member of the guild. The most important thing I noticed about the Local Growers Guild is the sense of community that is fostered between the vendors. There is definitely a strong camaraderie between each seller at the market.

Yesterday at the Winter Farmers Market I purchased some fresh cilantro, spinach, as well as some collared greens. For next week I look forward to incorporating these ingredients into a dish. I'll make sure to take photos to document my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment